Entering one of the small rooms of the Lakenhal exhibition, I suddenly found myself back in Japan of 400 years ago...a small room with tatami mat flooring, and a seating arrangement with a real live Geisha. The scent of incense and perfume pervades the area . The scene is so realistic, that my first instinct was to bow, excuse myself and leave.

It is then that I noticed the cabinets, designed to fit one's head, and the bottles of perfume arranged neatly by the mirror covering one side of the room. Each bottle and cabinet contains a fragrance of those times past, and in your mind you relive the old streets of Japan. It is interesting how without ever setting foot then and there, your mind still fills in the picture.


Placing my head inside one of these boxes, I smell the scent of camphor trees, and the Jinko incense of the old red light district.

Maki Ueda specializes in using natural materials to capture the scents (and with it the emotions) that people feel when they smell a certain smell. She captures local scents, of everyday things, and recreates them later to achieve a certain effect. The smells from another place, here.

If you want to learn more about Maki Ueda's work in the world of scents, you can visit her website. She also has a blog, where she records her work.

Comments (0)