For the first part of my sunday visit to Leiden, it was time to take a stroll across the Japanese Market held at the Rapenburg. In typical Dutch fashion, this consisted mainly of a long line of stands for the various teams, organizations and foundations that are concerned with Dutch-Japanese relations and hobbies. Of course, if you are interested, you probably know most of them.

I had the pleasure of a very brief conversation with Souken Danjo-san, the "smiling zen monk". He always seems to smile and enjoy himself, and after grabbing enough courage (and more than one stout) I approached him and asked him about Smiling Zen, and how to start a life that will allow you to smile forever. The answer he gave me had me thinking, but such philosophies deserve a blog on their own.
This day, I also joined the Foundation for appreciation of Japanese art, which is going to made of such win and awesome I will have to build another bookstand to accomodate it. No, seriously, if you have an interest in a wide variety of Japanese art forms (Ukiyo-e, lacquer, architecture, whatever), it may be worth your while to visit their website here.
Also, a wide array of hobbies related to Japan were on display, from a person playing the Shamisen to representatives of the Dutch Budoh organization, as well as the Shakuhachi club (including straw pot hat!).


One thing that always amuses me at the Bonsai stand is that people always ask what the price of such plants is; when the merchant's answer is evasive, this should warn most people. But there's always one or two who press on and want to know. If only my camera was fast enough to capture how quickly their faces pale when they hear the price. Bonsai trees are a great hobby, but it comes at a price!


While we were having a short lunch at the North End bar, the start of the Butoh procession through Leiden was announced. Sadly, this meant I have nothing more to show for it than a few pictures and shaky video, but with the limited time we had, we actually had to absorb like sponges. The video is raw, unedited and shaky (gomen nasai!) but I will get an edited version uploaded the moment I have the time.





And at the last our travels take us to the Von Sieboldhuis, to be present at the possibly the most momentous occasion I will visit in my life...but more about this in the next post...

Comments (0)